Brian Hayhurst | Chairperson
Brian was appointed to RHL’s Board of Directors in March 2017. His vision is that all people have the opportunity to make choices that can create positive outcomes in their lives. He intends to use his skills to educate others and to support avenues that create opportunities to assist the disadvantaged. Brian brings a wealth of experience to RHL’s Board, having already served as a Director for three other not-for-profit organisations. He also understands the frontline challenges of community housing better than most, having previously worked as a Tenancy Manager for Bundaberg Housing Services Inc.
- Bachelor of Social Work (MAASW)
- Justice of the Peace Qualified
- Authorised Mental Health Practitioner
- Qualified Mental Health Instructor
Benjamin Brown | Vice Chairperson
Ben was appointed as RHL’s first Youth Intern to the Board of Directors in September 2017, joined the Board as a Director in October 2018 and was elected as Vice Chairperson in May 2019. Ben brings to RHL experience as a member of a number of tertiary councils and committees and has a background in engineering. Ben is passionate about strategic planning and helping to further his local community.
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Hon)
- Member of Engineers Australia
- Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Regional Advisory Committee Member of the Institute of Managers and Leaders
Sandra Holebrook | Treasurer
Sandra is a business professional with over 25 years of commercial experience in business management, business development, and project management spanning the retail, distribution, wholesaling and manufacturing sectors. She has a track record of successfully deploying complex solutions and business change with an absolute focus on the realisation of tangible business benefits. She is a strategic thinker with effective implementation skills and understands the importance of stakeholder management. Holding a number of Board positions has provided Sandra with the opportunity to utilise her diverse portfolio of skills and experience at a governance level. Formerly the Secretary of Youthcare Hervey Bay Inc., Sandra joined RHL’s Board of Directors in October 2014 during the successful merger of Youthcare and RHL.
- Qualified Chartered Accountant
- Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management
- Licensed Real Estate Agent
Judy Peters | Secretary
Judy has a background in government and corporate business, policy development and stakeholder engagement with extensive experience in corporate governance and financial sustainability. She is a Life Member of ALGWA (Qld) empowering women in leadership. As a member of the Board of Directors her vision is to ‘deliver sustainable appropriate housing for residents to live comfortably and affordably’.
- Diploma Local Government (Administration)
- Diploma Business (Frontline Management)
- Justice of the Peace Qualified
- Advanced Diploma Community Sector Management
Cheryl Barrett | Director
Cheryl joined RHL’s Board of Directors in June 2016 bringing approximately 30 years of experience from the community housing industry, Local and State Government and private business. Her knowledge of the housing and social services sector combined with her skills in leadership and previous experience as Secretary for a not-for-profit board, make Cheryl a valuable addition to the RHL team. Cheryl is passionate about ensuring that those less fortunate can access safe and affordable housing in their own community. Cheryl is currently working as the Chief Executive Officer for Southern Cross Support Services, and is a Chartered Fellow of the Institute of Managers and Leaders.
- Graduate Certificate of Social Science in Housing Management & Policy
- Diploma of Management
- Diploma of Population Health
- Cert IV in Business Management
- Cert IV in Training & Assessment
Nathan Freeman | Director
Nathan has been a member of RHL’s Planning and Development Committee since 2014 and was appointed to the Board of Directors in March 2017. Nathan brings to the Board his knowledge and skills as a qualified Town Planner along with a wealth of experience from his involvement in a number of not-for-profit organisations and committees within the greater Wide Bay community. Nathan’s vision for RHL is to see the organisation grow and expand sustainably while gaining a better understanding of the issues facing our youth, those who are socially disadvantaged and persons living with disability in our community.
- Bachelor of Regional and Town Planning (Hons)
- Certified Practicing Planner with the Planning Institute of Australia
- Member of the Urban Development Institute of Australia
- Auxiliary Firefighter with Queensland Fire and Emergency Services
- Committee Member for Across the Waves Sports Club Inc.
Grant Davies | Director
Grant’s journey with RHL began in 2015 when he joined as both an ordinary member and a member of RHL’s Planning and Development Committee. He was appointed to RHL’s Board of Directors in 2018 where his experience in the real estate and development sectors, negotiation skills and passion for community advocacy are welcome additions. Grant believes there is a growing need for social and affordable housing in our region and across the State, presenting opportunities for RHL to expand well into the future. As a Real Estate Agent with interests and experience in residential sub-division development, Grant is passionate about projects and services that benefit regional communities and assist them to grow. Grant is an advocate for sustainable development and understands both the social impacts of residential living design for end users and its impact on the environment. With a background in IT and web development, Grant is also keen to see RHL take full advantage of current and emerging technologies to reduce paper waste and further streamline the business.
- Licenced Real Estate Agent
- Active member of the Urban Developers Institute of Australia (UDIA)
- Volunteer Rural Fire Brigade member (National Service Medal – 20 Years)
- Chief Flying Instructor and President of the Bundaberg Gliding Club.
- Certificate IV in Graphic Design
Rahel Clarke | Director
Rahel joined the Board of Directors at the 2018 Annual General Meeting bringing extensive and invaluable legal experience to RHL. Her vision is for RHL to meet the needs of the community, particularly in relation to affordable housing, in a way which facilitates ongoing growth for the organisation. Rahel is the Principal Lawyer and owner of Miller Street Law and co-founder of the Generator which provides innovative ‘start-up’ services for small businesses. She also volunteers at the Taylor Street Community Legal Centre and is a qualified yoga instructor.
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting Major)
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Master of Laws.
Jeffrey Kirchner | Director
Jeff previously served on RHL’s Board of Directors as Treasurer since its inception in 2009 to when he retired in 2018. After a 12-month break Jeff was reappointed to the Board in October 2019. Jeff’s vision for RHL is for organisational growth so that RHL will become a significant and efficient provider of housing services in the community.
- Financial expertise
- Experience working with State Government Departments, processes, procedures and governance
- Bachelor of Business Accounting with Distinction
- Certified Practising Accountant
- Past Branch Chair and Treasurer of CPA Australia – Bundaberg