Community Rent Scheme (CRS)

This scheme funds not-for-profit community organisations to provide transitional housing to eligible applicants who have been assessed by the department as having very high or high housing needs. Transitional housing is not long-term housing. RHL will assist our tenants to stabilise their circumstances and move on to the private market or longer term social housing.

RHL rents properties from private landlords or the department, and then leases them to tenants.
When you are a tenant in a RHL managed Community Rent Scheme property, RHL is your landlord.

What types of properties are available in the Community Rent Scheme?

RHL manages a wide range of properties, from one-bedroom units to three and four bedroom houses, depending on the area and what is available to us to rent from private owners. When you apply for social housing, an assessment is made of the type of housing that would best meet your needs.

Community Rent Scheme providers are sometimes able to source accommodation for eligible applicants who require a particular type of property.

What services can you expect with CRS?

Community Rent Scheme is transitional housing, which is not long-term social housing. RHL will work with you to develop a tenancy plan that assist the household to gain skills in managing a tenancy and move towards independent housing. The tenancy plan is reviewed on a regular basis.

The tenancy planning process helps you to decide on the best way to move towards living in long-term social housing or private rental.

To be considered for the Community Rent Scheme, it is important to select both ‘public housing’ and ‘community housing’ on your application form to maximise your chances of being housed.